Welcome again, readers. Jordan Parker Erb right here, writing to you from New York. Firms within the tech world and past are responding to the Supreme Court docket’s choice to overturn Roe v. Wade.
Let’s get began.
If this was forwarded to you, join right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. Firms are responding to the Roe v. Wade choice. The Supreme Court docket on Friday struck down Roe v. Wade, successfully chopping off abortion entry in lots of elements of the US. This is a take a look at how the tech business is responding:
- Amazon, which has beforehand mentioned it’s going to cowl prices for workers in search of abortions in states the place the process was made unlawful, informed workers to “be respectful of everybody’s views” after some celebrated Roe’s defeat on inside Slack channels.
- On Friday, Meta informed its employees to not focus on the ruling on its inside system, and deleted messages that did so, The New York Instances reported. Meta has additionally mentioned it’s going to reimburse workers touring out of state for reproductive care.
- In the meantime, within the courting world, singles are utilizing OkCupid’s “pro-choice” profile badge to match with like-minded people. The corporate informed Insider it’s going to “unapologetically assist this subject.”
- Tech corporations are beneath stress to guard customers’ info, as regulation enforcement may pursue entry to historical past, geolocation, and different associated information. Interval and fertility monitoring apps like Flo are taking steps to make the identification of customers nameless.
See how different prime companies have responded to the ruling.
In different information:
2. Job cuts are underway at Tesla. As the corporate begins imposing the cuts beforehand introduced by Elon Musk, employees who began solely months — and even weeks — in the past have been let go, whereas others are seeing their presents withdrawn. Tesla workers have described being laid off.
3. Getir insiders fear the ultrafast supply startup will not survive the 12 months. Employees on the $12 billion startup describe an organization that churns by way of workers, sends supply folks to the ER, and has “zero” probability at profitability. What employees informed us about Getir’s grueling inside tradition.
4. Instagram is testing utilizing face scans to substantiate customers’ ages. Within the trial, customers who wish to show they’re older than 18 can both add a photograph of their ID, ask three mutual buddies to confirm their age, or report a video selfie. What we all know in regards to the trial.
5. We spent per week on the Coachella of NFTs. Regardless of the crypto market downdraft, the NFT.NYC convention held final week was booming: Yacht events had been plentiful, VIP tickets bought for $1,999, and celebrities and CEOs mingled with company. Get an inside take a look at NFT.NYC.
6. Invoice Gates has apparently bought a $13.5 million potato farm — and locals aren’t happy. North Dakotans are outraged over the acquisition, and the state’s lawyer common’s workplace is wanting into it. This is the newest.
7. Doorsey, an actual property startup backed by Adam Neumann, laid off greater than half its workers. After struggling to lift new funding as enterprise buyers pull again, Doorsey diminished its workers from 24 to 9 folks, a spokesperson confirmed. Get the rundown on Doorsey’s layoffs.
8. You solely have a number of extra weeks to observe these reveals on Netflix. The streamer simply introduced which motion pictures and collection will likely be leaving in July, they usually embody basic movies like “Forrest Gump” and collection like “30 Rock.” This is all the pieces leaving Netflix subsequent month.
Odds and ends:
9. An electrical Mercedes-Benz drove 747 miles with out recharging. The Imaginative and prescient EQXX, Mercedes-Benz’s electrical idea automobile, beat each electrical automobile on sale at the moment — touring practically twice the vary of Tesla’s Mannequin S with out charging. Try the Imaginative and prescient EQXX.
10. Uninterested in the identical outdated Slack notification? We clarify change it. For a lot of, the default
notification noise comes with a sense of dread. However with a lot of completely different choices (together with somebody saying “hummus”), you possibly can change the sound so it does not hang-out your desires.
What we’re watching at the moment:
Maintain up to date with the newest tech information all through your day by trying out The Refresh from Insider, a dynamic audio information transient from the Insider newsroom. Pay attention right here.